Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Art of Mother's Day


If I wasn't a Mom, I might not be an artist.

It's hard to say because you can only live your life in the order it happens and while there are always side tracks, there are no real do-overs.

But here's the thing... my children made me believe in myself. I know it's supposed to be the other way around - and I'm sure that's also true - but the point I want to make is that my kids helped me discover my confidence.

As parents we're often whistling in the dark, doing the best we can and wishing we were sure it was the right thing. But then your kids look up at you and they're little and you're big and they believe you! Most of the time what you're trying to get them to believe is that it really is bedtime, or vegetables really are good. And that works, eventually, because that's how it is - parents are supposed to know!

But at the same time that we're giving them guidance and responsibility, they're giving us a kind of power that comes from the need to be strong and brave for THEM. Which is so much easier than being strong and brave for yourself. When your kids think you can do something, you kind of have to give it a try!

Anna Mary Robertson (Grandma) Moses once said, "If I didn't start painting, I would have raised chickens."

Four Feathers ©2009 Dorothy Lorenze
That's just so down to earth! She must have been a confident woman.

I might not have raised chickens (chickadees perhaps) but I can tell you for sure that my children raised me to be an artist. And, for that and so much more, I am more grateful than words can say.

Happy Mother's Day!






http://eepurl.com/pB7uT

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!