Friday, June 20, 2014

Painting Old Crap has it's Rewards!


Last week I wrote about my Dad on Father's Day and this week I'm sharing a painting and news that I hope would have made him proud.

My painting Fuel Fossil has been accepted to the Hudson Valley Art Association's 82nd National Annual Art Exhibit. It's the first time one of my paintings has been accepted to a national exhibition and I'm excited and honored.
Fuel Fossil ©2013 Dorothy Lorenze

Hudson Valley Art Association is a highly respected arts organization initially formed in 1924 by a group of New York artists meeting in the home of Jasper Cropsey, one of the first Hudson River School artists. This year the exhibit is at the beautiful Salmagundi Club, one of the oldest arts organizations in the United States. Founded in 1871, the Salmagundi Club resides in a gorgeous brownstone mansion in Greenwich Village New York; the entire building is full of art. Artists like  William Merritt Chase, Louis Comfort Tiffany, N.C. Wyeth and Childe Hassam gathered there! It's an awesome art-infused abode and an amazingly place to visit when you are in NYC.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.

The gas pump in Fuel Fossil is from the apple orchard up the street. It's vintage 1950s, so it probably looks a lot like the pumps at Johnny Black's gas station in the '50s, where my Dad worked part time when his fledgling TWA schedule was rather sporadic. I can't actually remember seeing those pumps but the smell of gasoline still brings back memories of visiting my Dad at the gas station. It was always at thrill.
Go figure!

It feels a bit like balanced karma to be accepted to the Hudson Valley Art Association exhibit with a painting of a gas pump. As I mentioned in my last blog, art was not high on Dad's list of career choices. 

Oilcan Gothic ©2013 Dorothy Lorenze
 Bizarrely, another one of my "rusty" works of art, Oilcan Gothic, won Award of Excellence recently, so I'm just going to have to give credit to my Dad for inspiring my artwork, however unintentional it might have been! These paintings, I think,  Dad would have appreciated.










Thanks for stopping by to join me on m art journey. And apologies for re-posting these paintings. While the paintings are not totally new, the news it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!