Friday, August 29, 2014

To frame or not to frame, that isn't the question


I was going to say that frames are like the icing on the cake... but really, they're more like shoes. You can get dressed up and look great, but the right shoes... well, maybe it's just me.

Anyway... I like frames. Not everyone cares to frame their artwork, preferring that it "speak for itself" and that's just fine. I'm generally happy when a painting is finished and when I add the right frame, it feels like the painting is happy too. Like it's settled in, not just another canvas with some paint on it.

So I need framing options and I have narrowed my choices to some fairly simple, but interesting, styles and a couple of wonderful sources. I'd been planning to write about custom frame sources next week, but this weekend there are some great sales on frames that are worth checking out.

Many of my paintings are living in beautiful and reasonably priced frames from Franken Frames. The company is in Tennessee and their customer service can't be beat. They will send free samples, expedite delivery if needed, have frequent sales and the owner often answers questions personally!

They also sell just about anything you might need for framing from linen liners to hardware including those soft little corner bumpers!

Here are some of my paintings framed in Franken frames -

© 2014 Dorothy Lorenze - painting at right is available at Muscoot next weekend

Franken Frames Labor Day weekend sale ends Tuesday: 25% off orders of $200 or more, 20% off orders up to $200.

Another good source for custom frames is Custom Frame Solutions. They also have a 25% off sale this weekend. Although their frames tend to be slightly more expensive, there is an excellent selection and all are well made. (Make sure you notice if the frame you choose comes assembled as some do not, but "hardware" is provided and easy to use).

Custom Frame Solutions website is well organized as you can search through wood frames by color - mahogany, walnut, maple, copper, etc. They used to offer 7" as their smallest frame side, but they are responsive to artists needs and now offer 5" sides. Since 6x 12" (Summer Heirlooms below) is one of my favorite sizes, it works for me! Daily Painters working on small paintings can now get 5x7" or 6x6" frames too.

Below are three paintings I framed in Custom Frame Solutions frames -

©2014 Dorothy Lorenze - all three will be for sale at Muscoot next weekend

Both companies have sales now and then so if your not quite ready to frame artwork or family photos you can join their mailing list to get future offers.
 
Thanks for joining me on my painting journey!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!